Carolina Theatre of Durham Closed To The Public Until Further Notice
DURHAM, NC — March 25, 2020 -- CLOSURE UPDATE -- By order of Durham Mayor Steve Schewel, the Carolina Theatre of Durham is now closed through April 30 pending further notice. The closure is a precautionary measure intended to help arrest the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19). The administrative and box offices will not be staffed through this time. Please contact us through efan [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. All live events, rentals, film screenings, meetings and any other public gatherings of more than 10 people are prohibited in the city during this time. See a rolling list of cancellations at the bottom of this post.
March 13, 2020 — In light of the declaration of emergency in the City of Durham issued by Mayor Steve Schewel today at 5 p.m., the Carolina Theatre of Durham will close to the public beginning at midnight tonight and extending through 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 28 (or longer, per Governor Cooper's order on 3/23/20). The closure is a precautionary measure intended to help arrest the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19).
All live events, rentals, film screenings, meetings and any other public gatherings of more than 100 people are prohibited in the venue during this time. The majority of full-time employees have been asked to work from home until further notice. The Carolina Theatre box office will be staffed from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. this weekend -- and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mon.-Fri., moving forward. The Carolina Theatre administrative offices will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mon.-Fri.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc., the nonprofit organization which operates the city-owned venue, is constructing a project-based plan to keep its part-time concessions and technical staff working in a safe environment during this difficult time for non-salaried workers.
We are monitoring the constantly evolving situation around the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and will continue to do so. We are following all directions and best practices recommended by local, state and federal governments and their health agencies.
Other City of Durham-owned venues affected by the declaration include the Durham Arts Council, the convention meeting rooms of the Durham Convention Center and the Durham Performing Arts Center.
We wish all of our community -- members, donors, volunteers, guests, artists, board, staff and neighbors -- well during this very challenging time. Soon enough, we'll welcome you back to Durham's historic showplace. We've been here for you since 1926 and will be again soon.
Sincerely, Carolina Theatre President & CEO Rebecca Newton, Carolina Theatre Staff and Board of Trustees
In accordance with Governor Roy Cooper's guidelines endorsed by the North Carolina Department of Health & Human Services (NCDHHS), the following events have been postponed or canceled:
- All first-run and repertory film through April 30.
- An Evening with Amy Grant: March 14 – Postponed to Feb. 3
- Summit Church Services: March 15 – Canceled
- Somewhere South Premiere with Chef Vivian Howard: March 15 – Canceled
- Welcome to Night Vale: March 16 – Postponed
- Steve Hackett: Genesis Revisted 2020: March 17 – Postponed to April 6, 2021
- CTD Arts Discovery Educational Series: Sonia De Los Santos: March 18 – Canceled
- Rome & Duddy B Friends & Family Tour: March 18 – Postponed. New Date TBD
- LetterKenny Live! : March 19 – Postponed. New Date TBD
- Daddy's Boys: March 21 – Postponed
- Summit Church Services: March 22 – Canceled
- Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle: March 22 – Canceled
- BANFF Mountain Film Festival World Tour: March 23 – Canceled
- The Unlikely Lesbians of First Friday Screening: March 26 – Canceled
- Gilbert & Sullivan's Patience (presented by The Durham Savoyards): March 27-29 – Postponed to Aug. 7-9
- Summit Church Services: March 29 – Canceled
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd: March 31 – Postponed to November 20
- Summit Church: April services postponed until further notice from Governor Roy Cooper.
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival: April 2-5 – Canceled
- Straight Up with Stassi: April 10 – Postponed to Jan. 29
- CTD Family Saturday Series: Casey Nees Muggle Magic: April 11 – Canceled
- The Last Podcast on the Left: April 13 – Postponed to Aug. 10
- Angel Olsen: April 15 – Postponed. New Date TBD
- Zakir Hussain: April 16 – Canceled
- Heather McMahan: April 18 & 19 – Postponed to Aug. 28 & 29
- Hispanic Flamenco Ballet: April 23 – Canceled
- Hater's Roast: April 23 – Canceled
- NCCU Eddie Awards Ceremony: April 28 – Canceled
- Meet The Author: Susan Orlean (presented by Durham County Library): April 29 – Canceled
- NCLive@ presents Chatham Rabbits CD Release: May 1 – Postponed to August 21
- CTD Family Saturday Series: Violet Bell: May 2 – Canceled
- Simply Diamond: May 2 – Canceled
- Lila Downs: May 5 – Canceled
- Chris Botti: May 7 – Postponed to Dec. 3
- PAYMENTSfn 2020 On Demand (presented by Spreedly): May 13-14 – Canceled
- Durham Ballet Theatre: May 15-16 – Canceled