Join Our Team
The Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. (CTD) is seeking a customer-oriented and enthusiastic team member to join the Development Office. This position supports the Theatre’s mission by helping raise funds that allow us to program a broad range of artists, films, and educational performances in a historic theater serving Durham, the Triangle region, and the state of North Carolina.
Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Assistant will provide administrative help associated with stewardship and engagement of individual and institutional donors, patrons, and potential donors to the Theatre.
- Support donor relations including maintaining donor records in Archtics (ticketing/development database) and development files; preparing acknowledgement letters, Star Member renewal mailings, and other written communications with donors; and making renewal phone calls to past donors.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Director of Development, including scheduling meetings; screening mail and calls; and responding to inquiries by phone, email or letter.
- Manage special projects and provide logistical support for meetings and events organized by the Development Office (e.g. cultivation activities for prospective donors, stewardship activities for current donors, mailings, NC Gay + Lesbian Film Festival sponsorship activities, etc.).
- Handle highly confidential records and correspondence, including financial and donor records.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Development Director as staff liaison to Board of Trustees’ Engagement & Nominating Committee and Development Committee.
- Support the implementation of a development/fundraising communications strategy.
- Coordinate with staff of other departments to meet needs of activities planned by the Development Office.
- Develop and maintain familiarity with all aspects of CTD programs, as well as knowledge of CTD internal procedures and policies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of fundraising or related experience. A desire to increase proficiency in development is preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Skills in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel; ability to create and manipulate spreadsheets. Experience with Archtics or other database/development software is preferred.
- Ability to identify and establish priorities and attend to details in a professional manner.
- Good judgment, initiative, reliability, flexibility, thoroughness, and accuracy.
- Sense of humor and collaborative spirit.
- Effective and courteous interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Integrity in relationships with donors, prospective donors, and colleagues.
- Oral and written English fluency, including accuracy in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. The position requires reliable transportation and a flexible work schedule, including some nights and weekends to support development activities.
To apply, send your cover letter and resume to hr [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. No phone calls or follow-up e-mails, please. We will contact suitable candidates. The position will remain open until filled.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is a non-profit organization operating the Carolina Theatre under a management agreement with the City of Durham. CTD is the fifth-largest Performing Arts Organization in the Triangle. With an annual budget of more than $4.1 million, we present more than 100 concerts and comedy performances and more than 3,000 film, retrospective and festival screenings each year.
Director of Education & Outreach
As a leader in presenting performances and cinema in Downtown Durham, Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is committed to engaging audiences through unique experiences, connecting our nonprofit with arts and educational organizations throughout the Triangle, and educating and entertaining children with curriculum-based performances in the Arts Discovery Series.
To further grow and enhance our role in the community, CTD is seeking a full-time Director of Education & Outreach who will lead the Carolina Theatre’s efforts in these areas. Reporting to the President/CEO, the Director will be responsible for evaluation of all existing programs for potential community and educational engagement, and for developing new initiatives to serve the community.
This is a senior leadership position in a highly collaborative environment, and requires an experienced, creative individual with a proven history of forging partnerships and representing organizations in the community.
- Overall responsibility for the Carolina Theater’s Arts Discovery educational performance series, including collaboration with CTD programming staff to select performances and CTD marketing staff to promote the series.
- Establishing strong relationships with leaders in the Durham Public Schools system to ensure the broadest visibility for the Arts Discovery Series.
- Meeting with teachers in Durham and throughout the Triangle to receive feedback that contributes to the success of the Carolina Theatre’s current programs and provides a framework for future programs.
- Coordinating with the Director of Development to pursue funding from government, foundations, corporations, and individuals to help support CTD outreach and education programs.
- Creating outreach activities related to Star Series and Performing Arts Series to provide adult audiences with special interactions with artists that further connect our fans with the organization and increase revenue.
- Working with the Senior Director to take full advantage of filmmaker and actor attendance at the North Carolina Gay & Lesbian Film Festival and other CTD film festivals and events.
- Creating a jury of local visual artists to curate rotating exhibitions of painting and photography in the Connie Moses Ballroom, Donor Lounge, and other spaces throughout the theater.
- Receiving and responding to requests for support from local organizations.
- Representing the Carolina Theatre at community events, and coordinating volunteers to assist in staffing booths and other promotional situations.
- Serving as a senior representative of the Carolina Theatre in meetings with City and County officials, arts and civic organizations, and with community leaders.
- Preparing and managing the budget for the Education Department in concert with the President/CEO and the Director of Finance.
Qualified individuals should have at least three years’ experience in either a similar role in a non-profit arts organization or an education position that included an outward-facing public role. Ideal candidates will have knowledge of the Durham market or will have a demonstrated history of building relationships quickly and effectively.
As this is currently a one-person department, the individual hired must be organized, self-motivated, and able to simultaneously focus on big-picture concepts and priorities while ensuring attention to the details. Support will be provided by Senior Staff, Booking Coordinator, Box Office, and others in the organization.
To apply, send your resume to hr [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. No phone calls or follow-up e-mails, please. Suitable candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits. The position requires reliable transportation and a flexible work schedule including nights and weekends. Candidates must be able to communicate effectively, verbal and written, in English. Candidates must be skilled in Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel, and be able to create and manipulate spreadsheets.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is a non-profit organization operating the Carolina Theatre under a management agreement with the City of Durham. CTD is the fifth-largest Performing Arts Organization in the Triangle. With an annual budget of over $4.1 million, we present more than 100 concerts and comedy performances and over 3,000 film, retrospective and festival screenings each year.
The Carolina Theatre is always looking to expand its pool of well-qualified employees with experience in certain areas of operations related to live events and cinema. If you have at least one year experience as a box office clerk, house manager, concessions clerk, or projectionist, and you want to work in an environment where customer service excellence is expected, we'd like to hear from you. Send an e-mail outlining your experience to hr [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. Please understand that the availability of positions varies throughout the year, so you may not hear from us immediately. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
Part-time Concessions & Box Office Staff
The Carolina Theatre is seeking enthusiastic individuals for customer service positions in Concessions and Box Office departments. Ideal candidates will have at least some experience serving customers and handling money in a fast-paced food service or entertainment type environment. We require everyone to be courteous, prompt and reliable and must be available to work a flexible schedule consisting mostly of nights and weekends. Candidates for Box Office be comfortable working with computers and box office or ticketing experience preferred, but not necessary. If interested in becoming a member of our team and working in an exciting and unique entertainment venue, please submit an application/resume to: Michelle Irvine, Director of Audience Services: michelle [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org or Katie Quinn, Box Office Manager: katie [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org.
Or mail to:
The Carolina Theatre
Attn: Michelle Irvine or Katie Quinn
309 W. Morgan St.
Durham, NC 27701