Join Our Team
The Carolina Theatre is always looking to expand its pool of well-qualified employees with experience in certain areas of operations related to live events and cinema. If you have at least one year experience as a box office clerk, house manager, concessions clerk, or projectionist, and you want to work in an environment where customer service excellence is expected, we'd like to hear from you. Send an e-mail outlining your experience to hr [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. Please understand that the availability of positions varies throughout the year, so you may not hear from us immediately. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
JOB POSTING: Facilities Manager
The Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is seeking a full-time Facilities Manager for the Carolina Theatre complex in Downtown Durham. This is a salaried position reporting to the Director of Operations.
The Facilities Manager is responsible for all maintenance and operations of the complex, including:
• Ensuring proper operation and maintenance of all building systems, including HVAC, electrical, plumbing, telecommunications.
• Proper maintenance and repairs of sound, theatrical lighting, 35mm and DCP-compliant digital projection, theatrical rigging and fly systems.
• General repairs of the facility, either personally or through subcontractors. Fulfilling staff work orders for repairs and maintenance using the web-based FacilityDude program.
• Serve as contact with the City of Durham Department of General Services regarding City-maintained portions of the complex and surrounding areas, and with the Business Improvement District regarding cleaning of sidewalks.
• Reviewing and modifying the facility’s Emergency Plan, and ensures that staff and volunteers are trained appropriately on a regular basis.
• Maintaining an ongoing list of capital needs, and providing quotes and additional information as required by the President/CEO.
• Scheduling, directing and evaluating subcontractors engaged in building and equipment maintenance and service agreements, including HVAC, housekeeping, alarms, elevators.
• Ensuring compliance as it relates to the facility with all City, State, and Federal laws, and in cooperation with the Director of Operations carrying out a regular schedule of inspections as required.
• Directs the Lead Housekeeper, Operations Assistant, and part-time technical and facilities staff.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• At least three years of related work experience, specifically including direct responsibility for building technical systems.
• Strong knowledge of building codes, laws, and City of Durham policies related to facility operations.
• Ability to personally carry out basic building repairs such as painting or patching walls.
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Must meet the following physical requirements:
• Ability to work Lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Stand or walk for significant periods of time each day.
• Kneel, stoop, or work overhead as needed to carry out tasks.
• Ability to climb a ladder or scaffolding and work in accordance with standard safety practices.
• The ability to working independently with minimal supervision.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k) participation, paid vacation and sick leave. Send resume and letter of interest to hr [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. Only applicants who are being considered will be contacted, so please do not call or e-mail to follow up on your application. This position will be open until a suitable candidate is found. The Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization which manages and programs the Carolina Theatre complex, which is owned by the City of Durham. The complex includes the 1,000-seat historic Fletcher Hall, built in 1926, and two Cinemas (276 seats and 66 seats).
Fletcher Hall is utilized more than 300 days per year. The Carolina Theatre presents 60 or more Star Series concerts featuring national headliners, and rents the facility to a broad range of rental clients including performing arts resident companies, local non-profits, and commercial presenters.
Cinema 1 and Cinema 2 are open 365 days a year for Independent first-run dramas, comedies and documentaries, as well as unique film festivals, retrospectives, and other repertory programming.
Part-time Audience Services/Concessions staff
The Carolina Theatre is seeking enthusiastic individuals for customer service positions in our Audience Services/Concessions department. Ideal candidates will have at least some experience serving customers and handling money in a fast-paced food service or entertainment type environment. We require everyone to be courteous, prompt and reliable and must be available to work a flexible schedule consisting mostly of nights and weekends. If interested in becoming a member of our team and working in an exciting and unique entertainment venue, please submit an application/resume to: Michelle Irvine, Director of Audience Services: michelle [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org
Or mail to:
The Carolina Theatre
Attn: Michelle Irvine
309 W. Morgan St.
Durham, NC 27701