Join Our Team
President & CEO
The Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc., is seeking an experienced professional to work with its staff and 18-member Board of Trustees to:
• Build on the organization’s rich history as one of the area’s oldest and most respected theatres,
• Ensure sound financial management and accountability to the Theatre’s constituents and supporters,
• Develop and implement a realistic strategic plan for continued growth and service to the community,
• Provide valuable educational and cultural opportunities to the people of Durham and the surrounding region.
The Carolina Theatre is a non-profit organization that serves over 150,000 people annually through a diverse series of live performances, concerts, comedy, dance, films and educational programs.
The Theatre is located in downtown Durham, a vibrant, diverse and fast-growing city of approximately 250,000. Durham is part of the larger Research Triangle region of North Carolina, with a metro population of well over 1,200,000. The area is a center for education, research, health care and technology– industries that require a strong cultural, educational and entertainment base to attract qualified employees. Durham and the Triangle are consistently cited in the national media as one of the country’s best places to live and do business.
The Theatre’s operations are housed in a historic 1926 Beaux Arts building in the heart of downtown Durham. The facility includes a 1,048-seat proscenium theatre and two smaller cinemas with total seating capacity of 275. After a rich 60-year history, the Theatre closed briefly in 1988, underwent renovations and re-opened under new governance in 1994 after a strong surge of volunteers committed itself to restoring one of Durham’s architectural and cultural treasures.
The facility is owned by the City of Durham, but is run by a full-time staff governed by an independent, volunteer board. Through a management agreement, the City provides annual funding that supports operations and capital improvements. Thus, for the past twenty-three years, through the efforts of hundreds of supporters and generous donors, The Carolina Theatre has become a centerpiece of Durham’s re-vitalized downtown.
Governance, Staffing and Finances
The Carolina Theatre is governed by an active and diverse 18-member Board of Trustees made up of community and civic leaders with a passion for performing arts, film, and arts education. The staff includes 18 full- and 40 part-time members who are responsible for its major operating areas: event production and promotion, finance, philanthropic support and community outreach.
The Theatre’s annual operating budget is approximately $3,100,000. Revenue is generated by a combination of ticket sales, facility rentals, concessions, the City of Durham Management Agreement, and philanthropic giving, both institutional and individual.
Working with the board and staff, the President & CEO will have overall responsibility for the Theatre’s current operations and projected growth. He or she will be the Theatre’s chief advocate, spokesperson and representative in all matters artistic, financial and administrative.
The President & CEO will be expected to work with a broad range of stake-holders to plan and implement a future that includes opportunities for new and expanded audiences, greater outreach to the Durham community through educational programs, stronger partnerships with corporate sponsors, and increased philanthropic giving.
• Operations and Finances. For both its artistic productions and administrative operations, the President & CEO will implement systems, policies and procedures that ensure cost-effective management, accurate budgeting, careful fiscal oversight and transparent accounting practices.
• Programming. The President & CEO will build on the Theatre’s artistic and educational vision, and will be able to articulate that vision in all arenas, both internally and externally.
The Carolina Theatre offers an extremely broad range of programming. In the area of cinema, the Theatre screens as many as 500 individual films each year. It is also home to the internationally acclaimed Full Frame Documentary Film Festival, as well as such other notable festivals as Nevermore and the NC Gay+Lesbian Film Festival.
In the area of live performance, the Theatre presents some 60-80 events annually, currently through an arrangement with a national booking agency. These events range from concerts to comedy to family-oriented stage productions. The Theatre also hosts several regional and national festivals, including Art of Cool and Moogfest.
• Sales and Resource Development. Working with the sales and development staff, the President & CEO will ensure adequate resources through an appropriate combination of growth in ticket sales, corporate sponsorships, government and foundation grants, and individual philanthropic giving.
• Community Relationships and Partnerships. The President & CEO will build strong relationships with other arts organizations, nonprofit agencies, businesses and foundations to advance the work of Carolina Theatre and encourage greater community investment.
The Triangle area of North Carolina is home to outstanding colleges, universities and cultural resources. For example, organizations such as the Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC), NC Central University’s Jazz Festival, Duke Performances, and the American Dance Festival provide the Carolina Theatre and its President & CEO with opportunities for mutually beneficial collaboration.
• Audience Development, Public Relations and Customer Service. The President & CEO will help create and implement a comprehensive audience development plan that generates consistent annual growth. The plan will include effective communication strategies for retaining current audiences, as well as tactics for recruiting new and diverse audiences. He or she will ensure that the Theatre maintains a reputation for high quality customer service.
Experience and Attributes
The ideal candidate for the position of President & CEO is a person who:
• Demonstrates an ability to think strategically and creatively, and to lead with confidence in addressing organizational opportunities and challenges,
• Demonstrates the sound judgment, administrative skill and financial acumen necessary to manage day-to-day operations and direct a professional staff,
• Is a thoughtful leader committed to the artistic and educational mission of The Carolina Theatre,
• Has a passion for arts education and the role it plays in the life and health of a community,
• Has either direct experience in, or a deep understanding of the challenges facing major arts organizations,
• Can work effectively in partnership with an 18-member Board of Trustees,
• Is an inspiring communicator who can articulate the aspirations of the Carolina Theatre to its varied constituency groups (audiences, performers, supporters, business and government officials),
• Has the knowledge of, and experience in marketing that will allow him or her to expand audiences, serve diverse constituencies and increase financial support.
The President & CEO’s salary and overall compensation will be commensurate with the experience and background of the successful applicant. The Carolina Theatre offers an excellent benefits package.
To apply, upload a cover letter and resumé at armstrongmcguire.com/apply. In case of any technical problems, please contact katie [at] armstrongmcguire [dot] com.
Review of candidates will begin in June 2017, and continue until the position is filled.
Carolina Theatre of Durham, Inc., is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The Carolina Theatre is always looking to expand its pool of well-qualified employees with experience in certain areas of operations related to live events and cinema. If you have at least one year experience as a box office clerk, house manager, concessions clerk, or projectionist, and you want to work in an environment where customer service excellence is expected, we'd like to hear from you. Send an e-mail outlining your experience to jana [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org. Please understand that the availability of positions varies throughout the year, so you may not hear from us immediately. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
Part-time Concessions & Box Office Staff
The Carolina Theatre is seeking enthusiastic individuals for customer service positions in Concessions and Box Office departments. Ideal candidates will have at least some experience serving customers and handling money in a fast-paced food service or entertainment type environment. We require everyone to be courteous, prompt and reliable and must be available to work a flexible schedule consisting mostly of nights and weekends. Candidates for Box Office be comfortable working with computers and box office or ticketing experience preferred, but not necessary. If interested in becoming a member of our team and working in an exciting and unique entertainment venue, please submit an application/resume to: Jana Faigen, Director of Marketing & Audience Experience: jana [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org or Rebeka Todd, Box Office Manager: rebeka [at] carolinatheatre [dot] org.
Or mail to:
The Carolina Theatre
Attn: Jana Faigen or Rebeka Todd
309 W. Morgan St.
Durham, NC 27701